Global Cooling on the Gunflint Trail
October may have started out unseasonably warm but it is ending unseasonably cold. The average temperature this month so far is 37.70 degrees and in the past 10 years only in 2002 was there a colder average at 32.63 degrees. Ponds, creeks, and small lakes along the Gunflint Trail already have a good skiff of ice on them.
An early freeze didn’t cause concern for some locals even though their water lines had frozen. We all thought there would be a break in the cold weather and things would thaw out before it really froze, but it looks like we may have thought wrong. The forecast is predicting more of the same weather for the next week.
- Today: Sunny. High around 45F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
- Tonight: Some clouds. Low 27F. Winds light and variable.
- Tomorrow: Mainly cloudy. High 47F. Winds light and variable.
- Tomorrow night: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low near 30F. Winds light and variable.
- Friday: Few showers. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the low 30s.
- Saturday: A few snow showers. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the upper 20s.
- Sunday: Snow showers at times. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the mid 20s.
- Monday: Snow showers possible. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the mid 20s.
- Tuesday: Snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the low 20s.
Weather forecasters have been known to be wrong before, so we’ll just cross our fingers and hope for a little opening of sunshine and warmer weather.