The Gunflint Trail was dressed in a beautiful winter costume last Friday as we made our way into Grand Marais for the children’s Christmas Concert at school.
Snowflakes fell peacefully to the earth all through the night on Thursday. On Friday I awoke to sparkling snow everywhere I looked. After driving the kids to the school bus I turned off my car, stood outside and listened to the sound of winter. If you have never experienced the quiet of the northwoods after a freshly fallen snow, then you are indeed missing out. When the snow clings to the tree branches and covers the forest floor, not a sound can be heard. You can strain your ears, hoping to hear something, but all you can here is nothing. It is truly a magical experience.
The 3-5 inches of snow that fell along the Gunflint Trail was a gift to us residents. Not only did it act as a sound insulator but it also brought us closer to having groomed cross-country ski trails. That’s what I’m asking Santa to bring me for Christmas, more snow so I can get out and glide through the peaceful woods of the Gunflint Trail.
The Local Forecast
- Today: A mix of clouds and sun this morning with a few snow flurries this afternoon. High around 20F. Winds light and variable.
- Tonight: Some evening flurries with clearing conditions expected after midnight. Low 8F. Winds light and variable.
- Tomorrow: Sunny skies. High 31F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Tomorrow night: A mostly clear sky. Low 22F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Wednesday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.
- Thursday: Mix of rain and snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the upper 20s.
- Friday: Snow showers possible. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the low 20s.
- Saturday: Snow showers at times. Highs in the upper 20s and lows in the low 20s.
- Sunday: A few snow showers. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.