Ham Fire May 6, 2007
I wrote two entries in my blog on the 6th of May in 2007. One was in the morning and one was in the evening. In the morning we were hopeful the fire was going to burn out into the wilderness and be over and done with. Things changed throughout the day and a battle began.
AM ENTRY- We are all thankful for the efforts of fire fighting crews and their determination to keep Tuscarora out of the fire’s path. Amazingly, Tuscarora Lodge, their cabins, outfitting buildings and beautiful pine studded property has been saved, like an island oasis. If you were to sit on a porch and look around the grounds then you would not even know there had been a fire so nearby. The Ahrendts will soon resume business as usual and their neighbors, friends and guests will be happy to know their Gunflint Trail Paradise still awaits them at Tuscarora Lodge.
…RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 PM CDT
MIN HUMIDITY……..10-15 PERCENT.
20-FOOT WINDS…….BREEZY. SOUTHEAST WINDS 18 TO 23 MPH WITH GUSTS
TO AROUND 35 MPH.
HAINES INDEX……..5 OR MODERATE.
HOURS OF SUN……..7 HOURS.
PM ENTRY- No lives have been lost and for that we are thankful. Fire crews showed up from Hovland, Grand Portage, Lutsen, Hovland, Colvill, Maple Hill and Grand Marais Volunteer Fire Departments to risk their lives to help save the lives of others. That they did. They worked cooperatively with the Gunflint Trail Volunteer Fire Department to evacuate residents from the end of the Gunflint Trail and to start sprinkler systems at as many cabins and businesses as was humanly possible. These people are all heroes. They deserve to be honored for their heroic efforts.
Today was the longest nightmare I have ever experienced. The wind blew the flames north and wouldn’t quit. The flames ate everything in their way including buildings and all the trees in their path. People scurried to get out of the path of the fire and to make their break down the Gunflint Trail to safety.
Tonight we will wait. We have no idea if we will have a lodge or home to go back to. But we are all safe and sound for tonight. Tomorrow will be another fight, a fight with Mother Nature. Please pray.