A Funny Thing Happened

     I woke up to the sound of a fish splashing on the water’s surface this morning.  I unzipped the tent and could see the ring of ripples slowly becoming one with the rest of the water.  I decided I needed to cast my line and see what I could catch.  I hesitated at the tackle box wondering if I should bring the needle nose to aid in the safe and quick release of a fish.  I decided against it thinking I didn’t want to wake Josh up and I probably wouldn’t catch a fish anyway.

     I made my way to the water’s edge with rod and reel in hand.  I cast my line out and as soon as it hit the water a fish hit it.  I reeled in to see a northern pike on the end of my line.  I do not like to touch fish with my bare hands and I usually wear silly orange gloves or just use a needle nose to release them.  Without either of these items I was forced to hold the northern with my bare hands and attempt to get the three treble hooks out of it.   

     I was making good progress and decided the northern could use some air.  There was just one hook left in him so I carefully placed him into the water.  That was a big mistake.  When he hit the water he thrashed about and I let go for fear of having a lure stuck in my hand.  My rod which had been resting beside me on the rock was quickly approaching the water as the northern swam away from shore.  Without thinking I dove in after it to try and get my pole back.  The northern being a better swimmer than me and being able to breathe under water escaped with my pole.

     Back on shore, sputtering and soaking wet I wondered what to do.  I looked at the calm surface and then I could see my rod and reel a few feet out from shore in 8-10 feet of water.  I didn’t have a choice.  I carefully got back into the water trying not to scare the fish.  I hoped I could reach it with my feet but that wasn’t going to happen.  I dove down with hands in front of me not wanting to open my eyes.  I had to open my eyes, swim a little deeper and reach down before I could grasp the pole.  I kicked back up to the surface with rod, reel and northern still in tow. 

     I crawled to shore wondering what I would do now that I was back to where I started.  Luckily the lure had released its hold a little and I was able to release the northern at last.  I laughed out loud wishing someone could have video taped the entire incident.  I know I would be able to win a million dollars on a funniest home video program.  The look on my face must have been hilarious and it would make great entertainment for millions of viewers. 

     Now all I can do is imagine how funny it must have looked and try not to make the same mistake again.