Another Reason to Love the Boundary Waters
We know the Boundary Waters are a magical place. We long for the solitude and serenity found on a wilderness campsite. In the BWCA we know we are relatively “safe.” There are numerous examples of what I mean and one look at a newspaper or online news only reinforces my love for the woods and waters of the Boundary Waters.
What prompted this blog post? A recent article about a 16 year old boy killed by a black bear during an adventure race in Alaska.
Thoughts on loving the BWCA-
- no poisonous snakes
- no crocodiles, alligators or other creatures in the water who consider humans lunch
- no polar bears, grizzlies or other animals on land looking to kill humans
- no poisonous dart frogs or killer spiders
- no deadly pathogens in the water
- no riptide, surf swells or tsunamis
I imagine I could come up with many more reasons I love the BWCA and consider it safe but I’ll leave that until another day.