Vacationing on the Gunflint Trail
A dream vacation on the Gunflint Trail… I picture myself paddling on a wilderness lake or relaxing on the deck of a cabin. While you can do these things you can also spend time learning while on a Gunflint Trail vacation. There are scheduled programs at various locations on the Gunflint Trail you won’t want to miss. Here are a few of those opportunities but be sure to check out the web for more. If you’re looking for a place to stay, then give us a call at Voyageur, we’d love to have you as our guest.
Wet Your Paddle – Canoe Instruction Seminars for Families
Canoe camping in the Boundary Waters can seem pretty daunting if you’re not comfortable in canoe. Get acclimated to canoe country with an hour of paddling instruction from local experts at Gunflint Trail canoe outfitters. Learn the ins and outs of BWCAW canoe camping, tricks for camping with kids, cooking tips, and how to prepare for your Boundary Waters adventures.
These seminars run from June 25 – July 13 at the following locations:
- Mondays – 11 am at Nor’wester Lodge and Outfitters; 1 pm at Voyageur Canoe Outfitters
- Tuesdays – 11 am at Gunflint Northwoods Outfitters; 1 pm at Tuscarora Lodge and Canoe Outfitters
- Wednesdays – 11 am at Rockwood Lodge and Outfitters
- Thursdays – 11 am at Bearskin Wilderness Outfitters; 1 pm at Hungry Jack Outfitters
- Fridays – 11 am at Clearwater Outfitters and Lodge
U.S. Forest Service Ranger Presentations
U.S. Forest Service rangers with a wide variety of specialties present every Thursday from June 21 – August 23 at 3 p.m. at the Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center.
- July 12: The Amazing Orchids of Northern Minnesota -Presented by Jack Greenlee, Ecologist, and Erin Heep, Botanist. This presentation introduces the audience to these complex and beautiful plants, and then takes a pictorial tour through all the orchid species found in northern Minnesota.
Sunday Walks and Talks at Chik-Wauk
Area naturalists present briefly on a topic each Sunday from June 24 – August 26 on Chik-Wauk’s front porch, then lead participants on an interpretative hike on the Chik-Wauk hiking trails. The talks begin at 2 p.m.
Forest Frenzy: Piecing Together the Boreal Forest
While all activities described above are designed with the family in mind, on July 11, July 25, August 8, and August 22, at 1:30 p.m., Chik-Wauk will put on specific kids’ activities. Through games, crafts, scavenger hunts, and interpretative hikes, kids will learn about the rocks, water, plants, and animals that make the boreal forest a special place. For children ages 5-12; must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.