This weekend is the Gunflint Green Up on the Gunflint Trail and we’d love to see you at Voyageur. Today at 2:00 pm you can get a sneak preview of Chik-Wauk Museum at the end of the Gunflint Trail and at 3:00 pm you can go on a hike with Steve Robertson of the USFS on the Centennial Trail. This weekend is also the MN DNR Take a Mom Fishing Weekend when Minnesota Moms can fish for free. What a great way to spend Mother’s Day and there’s no better place to do it then on the Gunflint Trail.
Gunflint Green Up Releasing & Other Information
On Saturday, May 8, 2010 join the Gunflint Trail community in the third annual tree restoration and release (removing competitive foliage) event and Ham Lake Fire Recovery.
All release sites are within the Superior National Forest and in the area affected by the Ham Lake Fire of May 2007. Release locations include the vicinities of Trail’s End Campground, Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center, Kekekabic and Magnetic Rock Trails, Round Lake public landings and the Iron Lake Campground. These are all public lands and participants will be able to visit the trees in the years and decades to come. Participants will be notified of their release location by email in early May.
On May 8rd, we’ll begin at 9:30 am with training and releasing instructions at the various sites. We’ll have team leaders to help the planters. Access to the planting sites will require hiking with your equipment. We anticipate that it will take 3-4 hours. A box lunch* will be provided to all participants.
After releasing you are invited to our Thank You Dinner* under the Big Top at Gunflint Lodge. A dance* with live music will follow dinner.
Early May is a time of great temperature swings on the Gunflint Trail. Participants should come prepared for all temperature options by dressing in layers. Be prepared for rain or snow and to get dirty!
What to Bring:
- Personal, refillable water bottle
- Sturdy boots
- Gloves for releasing
- Warm hat
- Rain gear
- Warm jacket
- Long underwear
- Loppers or pruners (for up to 1" diameter foliage)
* 2010 Registration Rates
- $45.00 weekend registration fee per person for Friday dinner & presentation, Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner & dance and t-shirt
- $15.00 Friday dinner, only, per person
- $ 7.00 Saturday lunch, only, per person
- $15.00 Saturday dinner, per person
- $100.00 family registration fee for weekend with 1-2 parents and their children age 16 and under
- $15.00 One T-shirt, picked up during the Gunflint Green Up event May 1-2, 2009
- $20.00 One T-shirt, shipped
Listen to a 2008 podcast interview with Outdoor News editor, Ron Hustvedt and Nancy Seaton.