Fishing Opener Coming Soon
Saturday, May 9th is the Minnesota Fishing Opener. I know I won’t be out fishing on Saturday but possibly for Mother’s Day on Sunday; that would be a real treat. We have cabins available at Voyageur Canoe Outfitters if you’re looking for a place to stay this weekend. Usually the opener isn’t too hot for catching walleye but I bet the lake trout will be biting. I can’t wait to wet a line but I’ll have to wait even longer to be able to fish from the dock.
Here’s the usual list of areas closed for spawning…
* Sea Gull River from Sea Gull Lake through Gull Lake to Saganaga Lake about 1/3 mile north of the narrows; closed through May 22.
* Saganaga Falls on the Minnesota-Ontario border where the Granite River enters Saganaga Lake; closed through May 31.
* Maligne River (also known as Northern Light Rapids) on the Ontario side of Saganaga Lake; closed through May 31 by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.
* Unnamed channel between Little Gunflint and Little North Lakes on the Minnesota-Ontario border; closed through May 31.
* Cross River (inlet to Gunflint Lake) from the Gunflint Trail to Gunflint Lake; closed through May 22.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.