Ice out in the Boundary Waters
When will the ice be out? That’s a great question. Here’s an update from Voyageur Canoe Outfitters at the end of the Gunflint Trail.
In other news… The good news is Mom’s get to fish for free this weekend in Minnesota. The bad news for Mom’s on the Gunflint Trail is the lakes are still solid. I suppose one could attempt to fish through the ice but the official fishing opener isn’t until next weekend so the species that are open to fish for aren’t enough to motivate me to try. For Mom’s who live south of us where there is open water the MN DNR has some suggestions on staying safe.
As boaters and paddlers take their first trips of the year onto the water, they should:
- Ensure their boat is registered and equipped with proper safety equipment, and that all pieces are functioning properly.
- Wear a life jacket (a foam life jacket is more effective than an inflatable life jacket during the cold-water season).
- Distribute weight evenly and abide by manufacturer’s weight limits to reduce the likelihood of falling overboard.
- Have a means of communication. Boaters also should let other people know where they’re going and when they plan to return.
- Watch the weather to avoid shifting winds or storms.
Here’s wishing everyone a wonderful Mother’s Day!